Nothing announces the approach of summer like berries & pie. This recipe masters both. It is quick and easy and freaking delicious. The filling is made on the stovetop, meaning it is no-bake apart from the crust. Start to finish it shouldn't take more than a half an hour.
(Adapted from Big Vegan by Robin Asbell.)
- Your favorite pie crust
- 2 cups sliced rhubarb
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2 Tbs cornstarch
- 4 cups sliced strawberries
- In a medium pot over medium high heat, add the rhubarb, raspberries, sugar and almond extract. Bring to a simmer and reduce to medium low, stirring occasionally until the mixture is thick and jam-like, about 15 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and 2 Tbsp water. Turn the heat up and add this mixture into the rhubarb, stirring constantly until it comes to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the mixture is very thick.
- Remove from heat and quickly fold in the strawberries.
- Pour the filling into your pre-baked pie shell.
- Refrigerate until the pie is fully cool.